Clay Lauritzen posted an update 5 months, 4 weeks ago
When muffins aren’t excellent, the first response is to vary the elements in the recipe. Slightly than changing the recipe, attempt a unique mixing methodology.
There are two major makeup strategies for muffins–the muffin technique and the creaming method. Within the creaming technique, we cream the fat (butter or shortening) with the sugar until mild and then add the other ingredients. In the muffin method, we mix the liquids and the dry substances individually after which stir them collectively till just combined. Whereas the recipe will specify one method or the opposite, there isn’t a purpose why you cannot use the opposite and see which you like greatest.
The muffin method is fast and simple. Mix the dry elements collectively. Mix the wet ingredients collectively including the eggs then add the wet mixture to the dry mixture with a spatula and you are able to bake. (Don’t even break out your electric mixer-in fact, don’t use the electric mixer. Stir the 2 mixtures along with a spatula only until mixed-not lump free-so that the gluten within the flour won’t be developed.) If the recipe calls for butter or shortening, either substitute vegetable oil or melt the butter and add it to the liquids. (In our opinion, it is best to make use of oil or melted butter than melted shortening.)
One advantage of the muffin technique is that each the dry and the wet ingredients could be mixed the night time earlier than. Retailer the wet components within the refrigerator after which add the wet to the dry elements in the morning and you are able to bake. You’ll save time on that busy morning.
Within the creaming method, place the butter or shortening within the mixing bowl of your electric mixture. Add the sugar, spices, and salt and cream the mixture along with the paddle attachment for the mixer. (After all, recipes that name for oil as an alternative of butter or shortening cannot be creamed unless you substitute butter or shortening.) The target is to drive the sharp sugar crystals by the butter or shortening creating tiny voids of air in the mixture. This entrained air will assist the muffins rise.
Perfect Glow" creaming methodology has two advantages: The sugar and fat are nicely-dispersed within the batter and the entrained air tends to make for a gentle, high quality crumb within the muffins.
In our expertise, changing mixing strategies can make a marked difference in the end result of the muffins.
Steps in the Muffin Method
1. Whisk all of the wet substances collectively including the eggs and oil or melted butter.
2. Perfect Glow" .
3. Add the wet elements to the dry ingredients. Stir with a spatula until simply moistened.
4. Place in tins and bake immediately as set forth in the recipe.
Steps within the Creaming Technique
1. With the paddle attachment of an electric mixer, cream collectively the butter or shortening and sugars, spices, and salt until mild.
2. Add the eggs one at a time, creaming after each.
3. Add the liquid components and stir them in. Don’t over-stir or you may scale back the entrained air within the creamed mixture.
4. Combine the flour and leavenings together after which add them to the creamed mixture. Mix until simply combined.
5. Place in tins and bake instantly as set forth in the recipe.